Beyond the Gospels: Galatians

Read today’s passage: Galatians 6:1-10
[Click the link above to read online, or open up your Bible.]

Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked.
Galatians 6:7
Let’s just get this straight right now. God cannot be mocked. He cannot be deceived. We cannot hide anything from Him. We cannot live self-righteously on the outside, yet be dark and devious on the inside. God knows and tests the hearts of all mankind. And we reap what we sow, because He’s the one that makes things grow. He both blesses and curses depending on the heart behind our actions.
The warning here is for us not to be deceived. And I don’t think he means by other people. The truth of the matter is we all have a great capacity for self-deception. We make excuses for our behavior and justify unjust actions. We think a life lived 95% in the flesh and the other 5% on Sunday morning singing a few hymns and saying a rote prayer makes up for the sin we just can’t let go of the rest of the week.
Do not be deceived. Let God examine your heart. Be open to the Holy Spirit’s conviction. Be in the Word and let it speak life into your life. Be open to that Spirit-led brother or sister in Christ who boldly confronts you about gossip, pornography, boasting, greediness, drunkenness, addiction, uncontrolled anger, envy, jealousy, infidelity, or any other lack of integrity you’ve allowed to take root in your heart.
Don’t delay. Recognize the seriousness of a life lived in the flesh vs. the Spirit.
Whoever sows to please their flesh,
from the flesh will reap destruction…

Don’t get tired of doing the right thing. Even when no one else sees, you get no credit, or it just seems to cause trouble in your life.
…for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

Father God, open my eyes to the places I’m living under self-deception.
Open my heart to Your Spirit. Open my mind to Your Word.
Help me to see clearly the fruit I produce from what I sow in my life.
Grow me in faith as only You can.
0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *